Health check: which symptoms indicate that your Spleen function is weak?
The Spleen is located in your abdomen. Chinese medicine considers that the Spleen organ system’s main functions involve digestion, circulation and blood production.
If the Spleen is weak or disordered, you can experience the following symptoms:
- Tired, fatigued
- Pale face, heart palpitations
- Iron deficiency
- Bloating especially after eating
- Sluggish or loose bowel movements, often with undigested food (especially children)
- Puffy face and eyelids especially in the morning
- Easy to gain weight and difficult to lose weight
- Puffy legs and arms
- Scanty and delayed periods, even no periods
- Insomnia, light sleep or waking up frequently
Four simple ways to protect your Spleen and make it healthier:
1. Avoid eating and drinking cold foods taken straight from the fridge, especially eating chilled foods often and in large amounts.
2. Avoid staying in cold and damp environments for long periods of time.
3. Try to have at least 30 minutes of physical activity in the sunshine per day.
4. Eating the following foods more frequently can help your Spleen function: ginger tea, mandarins, onions, Chinese red dates, lotus seeds, white radish, green vegetables.
If you frequently experience the symptoms listed above, please see your medical doctor for a check-up or visit our experienced Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioners who can help you.