Couples who are having difficulty conceiving after two years, can be diagnosed with infertility. For some couples, waiting two years to discover there is a problem with fertility is too late – for example the couples’ age or health issues with either member of the couple. Therefore, being able to conceive quickly is very important for some couples. This article will offer assistance and ideas to aid with speedy conception.
Four things to check to help you achieve conception quickly
1. Do you have regular periods? (What is a regular period?)
Generally regular cycles should be between 28-30 days with menstruation (bleeding) for 3-7 days. Amount of bleeding should be comfortable, colour of blood should be fresh and red – not dark, no clots, no period pain (tummy, lower back and headache). Mild discomfort is expected (however no pain killers should be needed.) Abnormal period cycle will affect pregnancy, such as:
- Period cycle too long or too short
- Period too scanty or too heavy
- Blood colour too pale or too dark
- Clotting and period pain
2. Do you have symptoms or discomfort BEFORE your period?
Generally women shouldn’t experience severe discomfort prior to periods. Mild bloating and aching lower back is a reasonable expectation. Following severe symptoms prior to your period may affect your pregnancy such as:
- Headache and pain (including the lower back and tummy)
- Bloating and oedema
- Breast fullness and pain
- PMT – pre-menstrual tension
- Tiredness and lethargy
- Spotting intermittently for a few days duration
3. Do you have symptoms or discomfort AFTER your period?
Generally, your body will recover from menstruation quickly in one to two days. If you have the following severe symptoms it will affect your pregnancy such as:
- Very tired and lethargic
- Spotting for few days (especially brown and dark)
4. Do you have abnormal ovulation?
Every month, a woman’s body should release an egg during the ovulation phase (from alternate sides of the ovaries each month). During ovulation you should experience clear mucous and vaginal discharge, there should be no discomfort for this stage. If you experience discomfort during ovulation – this may affect your pregnancy, such as:
- Pain on either side of tummy
- Bleeding (spotting during ovulation)
- Breast or nipple pain
- No discharge or clear mucous
How does Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture assist with these symptoms and discomfort?
If you have the symptoms we have discussed, this may indicate your body is imbalanced with certain internal organs. Traditional Chinese Medicine finds out the cause of the symptoms and aims to rebalance your body therefore relieving symptoms and leading to successful pregnancy. I suggest the following:
- Have a general checkup with your GP doctor. Go to an experienced Chinese Medicine practitioner to have general checkup to find out the cause of the imbalance. (Traditional Chinese medicine diagnosis checks your pulse, tongue, signs and symptoms.)
- After a Traditional Chinese Medicine diagnosis, we will set up the principles of treatment (which may include acupuncture, cupping, herbal medicine or Chinese massage to stimulate the channels). This will assist with relieving the symptoms experienced.
- We will give you suggestions with regard to diet and lifestyle and general wellbeing.
- The balancing usually takes 1-2 menstrual cycles. This allows your body to be in optimal condition, ready to conceive.
“To achieve success in life’s journey, and when trying to conceive, preparation is very important.”